Six buckles and one button are combined to create this lovely necklace! The fashion of wearing buckles on shoes flourished in the 17th century, and came in and out of fashion into the early 20th century. Brilliant cut steel buckles such as these were made in Paris circa 1890-1900. As with buttons, men wore the fancy shoe buckles in the early centuries, but by the mid-1900s, shoe buckles had passed into the realm of women’s wear.
- Brilliant cut steel shoe buckle, made in France circa 1890-1900, 1 7/8 inches by 2½
- Small cut steel shoe buckle in the shape of a bow, circa 1890-1900.
- Well-made brass and cut steel button, circa 1880-90.
- Four tiny cut steel buckles used as stations on the 31 inch long necklace chain.
- 4 inch long handmade tassel.